Over the past year and a half I have been heavily involved in the Alpha and Beta testing of Aeon Timeline 3. At its heart, Aeon Timeline does exactly what you would expect it to do. It allows users to generate timelines of events for the outlining and planning of projects. Either for Creative Writing, Legal, Project Management, or Education purposes. I, of course, have been using it to plan my current work in progress: The Head Factory.
Version 3, released today, represents a major rewrite of the app, and offers many more useful and carefully crafted features, than version 2.
I plan to write extensively about Aeon Timeline 3; a review will be going up here in the next couple of days, and I will also be demonstrating how I use the app to track and build deep story structure in my work.
In the meantime though, here is a quick overview of what the new version offers:
- Enhanced timeline functionality with a brand new data card system.
- A spreadsheet style interface for speedy outlining. Events can be added independent of dates initially. Then as the project comes into focus, dates can be added later.
- A mind mapping system for brainstorming and working out key concepts.
- A narrative outlining system which operates independently of the chronology of a story’s timeline.
- Enhanced, fully automated syncing of writing projects into Scrivener and Ulysses.
- The return of relationship view and a brand new subway style view to track connections between events, people and places.
- A deeply customisable and flexible data management system which allows custom item types, relationships and properties. Users can now create their own story structure systems around, for example, the Hero’s Journey or Three Act Structure.
- A new template system to be able to import, export and share templates with other users.
- A split view windowing system to be able to interrogate different areas of your project at the same time.
- A comprehensive filtering system to be able to focus on specific details at the touch of a button.
- A complete visual overhaul with a slick new interface and themes.
- A brand new iPadOS and iOS version with almost complete feature parity with the desktop version, especially on iPad.
- Fast and reliable iCloud syncing between devices.
- And so much more.
Aeon Timeline 3 is available for macOS, iPadOS, iOS and Windows on a rolling twelve month feature upgrade license.
Please check it out at Aeon Timeline’s brand new website. It is well worth a look.